Eating well at work is made easy with dietitian tips and recipes from Canadian Lentils
Dietitians celebrate Nutrition Month with Eating 9 to 5! campaign
Saskatoon, SK, February 24, 2015—Almost half of Canadians (45%) say that eating healthy meals and snacks while at work is challenging, according to an Ipsos Reid poll conducted for Dietitians of Canada.
“With limited time to prep meals, rushed mornings and sugar-loaded temptations at work, it’s no wonder we experience mid-day slumps and commuter cravings,” says Gloria Tsang, a Vancouver-based dietitian, founder of HealthCastle.com and author of Go UnDiet.
You can banish those 3 p.m lows and fast food cravings by adding Canadian lentils to your lunch and snacks, says Gloria.
Canadian Lentils (lentils.ca) is an official sponsor of Nutrition Month 2015, a campaign promoted by Dietitians of Canada to encourage Canadians to eat well at work.
Dietitian Gloria Tsang hopes to inspire Canadians to eat better at work and make other positive changes for a healthier workplace and nutrition environment.
“Canadian Lentils are a perfect solution for eating well at work because they are easy to prep and cook, packed with nutrition and incredibly versatile,” says Gloria. “There are hundreds of ways to add lentils to your workday snacks and lunches that will help you boost your concentration and get through the day without reaching into your junk food drawer.”
Gloria’s Tips for Eating Well at Work with Canadian Lentils (+Recipes)
- Always pair a carb snack with a protein snack. Protein helps stabilizing blood sugar and help make us full longer.
o Try Quinoa Lentil Salad Wraps, easy to prepare ahead and eat at your desk when in a rush.
o Or, simply top any salads with cooked lentils for a quick nutrition boost.
- Snacks can be nutritious too. Most sweet snacks are loaded with simple carbohydrate with lots of sugar and not much fibre and other nutrients. However, you can totally make over your snacks by incorporating lentils.
o Try Coconut Lentil Fudge, perfect for those 3 p.m. mid-day slumps and better than reaching into that secret stash of junk food hidden in your desk drawer.
o Or try this mid-morning pick-me up: Sprouted Lentil Granola Parfait
- Remember to power up in the mornings to get you through the day.
o Try this Citrus Berry Shake with Lentils
- For those morning or evening commutes, try this easy Blueberry Oatmeal Lentil Muffins
- Prepare ingredients that need to be cooked ahead. For instance, pre-cook lentils on weekends and store them in the fridge to be used on weekdays. Alternately, choose canned lentils. For tips on how to cook lentils, visit www.lentils.ca
Canadian Lentils is an official sponsor of Dietitians of Canada’s Nutrition Month 2015. Canadian Lentils is an Official Mark of Saskatchewan Pulse Growers, a farmer funded organization that works to advance the pulse industry in Saskatchewan, the heart of the lentil-growing region in Canada. For more information about Canadian Lentils and to see more great ways to cook with lentils, visit lentils.ca.
Recipes and images courtesy of Canadian Lentils.
For recipes, images and interviews, please contact:
Saskia Brussaard, Crave Public Relations